Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pronouncing "Bierbeekstraat"

My childhood reading endeavors taught me how to mispronounce countless words. My reading vocabulary, in other words, was beyond my listening vocabulary. So "hedgerow" became "head-grrr-oh" in my head. Likewise, "hogshead" became "hog-shed."

So for all those people with little voices in their heads, "Bierbeekstraat" is roughly pronounced "beer-bake-straht." I am only trying to approximate the correct pronunciation, so that should help.

By the way, if you're still reading this post, it means roughly "ale stream street." Please do not attempt to imbue any grand significance in the name of the street--I don't drink and my "mental meanderings" are not drug-induced.

1 comment:

First Word said...

I guess "ale-stream-street" is unnecessarily decognatized (no, that was not a real word before now). "Beer-brook-street" is closer. There's a Bierbeek, Belgium (a town). Perhaps there's a Bierbeek (body of water) as well?
Dunno.